In the days of the Armada, a fleet of warships, the scuttlebutt was the rumor or gossip that would spread throughout the ship. Today, Armada Law Corp presents The Scuttlebutt, a daily summery of news articles that people within the cannabis, hemp and plant medicine industries are chatting about along with links to the full articles.

In today’s news:

#californiacannabis – ““The licensing system that California has adopted makes it nearly impossible for stores to open. Stores are more likely to go bankrupt (say, 2-3 years into the process of trying to open) than they are to actually get open,” Jain wrote in a memo to Green Market Report.

Jain concluded that most local governments don’t have the resources, time, manpower, or expertise to write their own ordinances and regulations to effectively govern the complex cannabis industry, which has led to time-consuming bottlenecks that drive entrepreneurs broke before they get a chance to compete in the cannabis market.

“Cities that passed retail ordinances in 2019/2020 (to great fanfare!) have still not seen those stores open, 3-4 years later. That tells us that something is fundamentally wrong in the licensing process,” Jain wrote.”

#psilocybin – “Two bills related to psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in magic mushrooms, have been under debate by Virginia lawmakers.

The first bill, HB 1513, proposed by Del. Dawn M. Adams (D), seeks to legalize the distribution and possession of psilocybin for specific medical use cases, such as depression, PTSD, and end-of-life anxiety….

The second bill, SB 932, proposed by Sen. Ghazala Hashmi (D), aims to create the Virginia Psilocybin Advisory Board, which would develop strategic plans for therapeutic access to psilocybin, study federal laws and regulations, and report its activities and recommendations annually to the Governor and the General Assembly.”

#cannabisindustry – “Gold Flora shareholders will own 51% of the combined business and The Parent Co.’s will own the remaining 49%.

The combined company will be called New Parent and will operate as Gold Flora Corp.

Subject to approval, New Parent is expected to trade on Canada’s Neo Exchange and the over-the-counter markets.”

#cannabisindustry – “A revised version of the North Carolina Compassionate Care Act, first filed Jan. 25 at the start of a new legislative session, passed in the state Senate Judiciary Committee on Tuesday night and was referred to the state Senate Finance Committee, where lawmakers voted to approve the bill with additional changes Wednesday.

The measure would permit specially licensed growers to process and sell marijuana to individuals with debilitating medical conditions, such as epilepsy, Crohn’s disease and post-traumatic stress disorder.”

#cannabislaw – “In a notice, Rasheta Bunting said she was dismissing without prejudice her lawsuit against Housing Works Cannabis LLC, which runs a shop on Broadway, but did not elaborate on her reasons.

In the suit, first filed in January, Bunting said she had attempted to purchase cannabis products from the Housing Works site, but was unable to because it lacks website features and compatibility with programs that allow the visually impaired to navigate websites and make purchases.

Bunting said in the complaint that she is legally blind and an advocate for the rights of people with disabilities, and is a “tester” of whether facilities and websites are properly accessible to people with disabilities.”

#californiacannabis – “The Sacramento City Council approved a permit for a cannabis dispensary in a 8-0 vote on Tuesday, denying a request to prevent the store from opening near a detox center.

City officials said La Krisha Young, the owner of the proposed dispensary and graduate of the city’s equity cannabis program, met requirements and added extra restrictions to respond to the detox center’s concerns.

CEO of Diamond House Detox and Recovery Vicky Magobet argued the dispensary, which will open less than 600 feet from one of the company’s substance abuse rehabilitation centers, would threaten clients’ recovery. Young is planning to open Culture Cannabis Club Dispensary on Bruceville Road, at a location where there are also two tobacco stores and six businesses selling alcohol within 600 feet.”

#californiacannabis – “Cannabis retailers who’ve spent thousands to operate in Costa Mesa, only to be placed on long waiting lists, will soon be able to recoup money from the city after officials agreed to refund application fees to those who voluntarily withdraw their requests.

Council members Tuesday authorized a refund of licensing and permitting fees to some 45 applicants that have been waiting since August 2021 for a determination on whether they may do legal business in the city.”


Get Legal Consultation

Armada Law Corp: Excellence, Integrity, Personalized Care – Your trusted legal partner for success.